Saturday, February 7, 2009

Rhetorical Analysis- Song

The song I chose to write about is called “Play-Doh” by the Aquabats.  The audience is adult males that have left all of their childish dreams and thoughts behind, and have grown up and forgotten what being young is like.  The goal is to remind those adults of the good old worry-free days of their childhood.  The argument is made mostly through ethos and pathos.  Ethos is used because the Aquabats use many things that are familiar to us: Play-Doh, ice cream, Star Wars figurines, Lincoln Logs, Scooby Doo, and many others.  That helps me relate to my childhood, because those are the exact things I liked when I was a kid.  Pathos is used, because it is a happy, upbeat tune where the chorus repeats “Take me back to my happy land”.  This makes the audience feel like there’s something missing in their life, and that something is their childhood memories.  As far as the reasons go, I think the accuracy of the research/reasons were sufficient to convince the audience.  I also believe that the reasons are extremely relevant.  I think that many people leave their childhood behind and act more mature than they really are.  I think the argument is quite effective, because it deals with a real situation and the tone is very childish and playful, reminding the audience of the good old days where they didn’t have to worry about anything.

No comments: