Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rhetorical Analysis -Encounter

I went to the mall to look at a new phone service. The argument was what are the consequences of using their cell phone service on my satisfaction of cell phone usage. They claimed that by using their service, I would increase my satisfaction of cell phone usage, because using their cell phone service is cheaper than my current service provider and I don’t lose any service.  The audience is obviously a poor college student that wants a cell phone service that is cheap but works well.  The goal was to get me switch cell phone service to T-Mobile right then and there.  The salesman tried to use logos to get me to buy their service. He talked to me about how they used At&t towers instead of their own, so they didn’t have to charge as much because they don’t have to pay for maintenance.  He could have established more credibility and a better relationship with me though.  As far as reasons go, I don’t think he provided sufficient reasons to convince anyone to buy their service.  He kept saying that the only thing that really mattered was the phone I wanted, and I thought that was a bad argument.  His arguments were very typical.  I also thought he was very relevant.  He talked about the benfits of Verizon and At&t, and then contrasted them with the benefits of TMobile.  Although, he didn’t do a great job arguing, I think his performance was effective for me, but that’s only because I was planning on switching over anyways.  Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have been too convinced.

No comments: